5.15.2012

What feels better?

I beg you all to take a moment and think and ask yourself a couple of questions: 

When was the last time a performed a service for something in need? 
 When was the last time I used my talents for those in need? 
When was the last time I gave up my free time to volunteer?

This past weekend I was at my husband's cousin Michelle's new home. I consider her my own family and love her dearly. She is a single mother to 4 kids and most of the time makes it look effortless. She works like a horse to bring home an income to provide for them in every way since the father does not. She loves her kids so much! She is the definition of a single, independent and thriving woman and I am proud to call her friend and family. 

But sometimes we all ask for help. We need to. Some of my greatest blessings in this life come from giving my time to others. So this last Saturday, I helped Michelle with the painting of her Habitat for Humanity house. If anyone deserved this, it is Michelle. And I am so happy for her. I feel bad that I could only stay for 4 hours (since the painting was not done) but I had to get back to my kids. But every little bit helps. She is required to put in 250 hours of her own time, and all of us volunteer's time went towards that, which in the end the entire thing was primed. I wish I could have done more than paint, but lets be honest, my skill set for building a fence is lacking just a pinch. I did help shovel rocks though!

I just ask you all to find something in your community to volunteer at in the near future. I can tell you that your service gives so much. And in a way gives more to you than those you are servicing. 

This is Michelle's house--so close to being done

Me at the beginning, still clean. It was a all women's work day, hence the cute shirts


I did take part in shoveling and moving rocks until we had primer, and dumped it in the wrong spot accidentally...




And this is what happens after four hours of painting. So cool!


 So I ask, what feels better than giving?

Bethany

1 comment: