4.09.2012

What is too young to have a Role Model?

Over the weekend my children, husband and I were with a good amount of family for Easter. It was fantastic! And there will be several post about it all and the detailing events.

Yesterday though, I was telling a family member I hold very dear to my heart that I am going to be running a 5k on April 28th and another in May. It will be my first one since high school. (10 years does *wonders* to a girl's body) She asked me why.

"Because I want to have goals to work towards, to get into shape, have a feeling of accomplishment and I want my children to see the importance of exercise from their mom."

In reply, "Their too young to even know what you are doing, whats the point?! It's not like they would care."

I honestly do not remember what I said after that but that I felt like a small slap in the face had been placed on my cheek. 

I fully think that they notice. Plus as soon as I get a jogging stroller they will be going with me.I know the importance of exercise and so does my husband. Our children will be constantly involved in sports.

So is it wrong to feel I am setting a good example for them now when they are only 2 and about to be 1 in a couple weeks? 

What are your thoughts?

Bethany

5 comments:

  1. Yes, of course it is. I think the sooner the better. Children try to copy their parents behavior and if we have healthy habits, it is most likely they will do the same! I try to eat healthy, so my son sees what I eat. He likes brocolli rabe, do you believe it? He is only 21 months. Love your blog! Following you!
    Quiqui
    www.notasinfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It is nice to hear someone else say it is important. Of course running the race is mostly for me, but I still think they need to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absoluely not, I think anything you do to make yourself happy and healthy will in turn be beneficial to your children. They understand a lot more, even at a young age, than people give them credit for. Sorry your family member was not more supportive, but if you feel that you are doing what is right for you and your family thats all that matters! Good luck with your 5k!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10.4.12

    I'm not sure if you saw the Biggest Loser that was on tonight. Michelle Obama said.. Kids need a positive role model to be active and it starts at home with their parents! I think you are doing an absolutely wonderful thing! Good for you!!
    I love reading your blog, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Ladies! I really appreciate knowing someone else out there agrees with me. And I did see the Biggest Loser with our First Lady and totally agree with what she had to say about being active.

    ReplyDelete