4.17.2012

When I Grow Up...

Today I am linking up with Kristen, From Kristen, With Love. It is a post about what did you actually want to be when you grow up? (Back when you were a kid)

As Kristen said, she always knew she wanted to teach. I never knew what I wanted for very long. It constantly changed!

I always loved planning things as a kid, like things that would never happen. The most amazing play-date, "penny" sales carnival to make a couple of dollars, that sort of thing. 

When I was about 11 I told my dad I wanted to be a lawyer so I could agree with people and win. He said he would never allow that because he did not want me to be a liar... squash.

Then, at the end of high school for my senior project I did a Graphic Design 10 hour work study. I wanted to do that! I wanted to create amazing pieces of whatever. I just wanted to make something totally cool. When I got to college in January 2004 I started thinking I did not want to work with computers that much. ( took a computer programming class for two years in high school and realized the $100 for the certification test was a waste since it would take me at least 4 or 5 tries to pass )

So I took generals for two years and decided I wanted to do Interior Design (still wouldn't mind). But I thought you had to have art work to show the acceptance board and after a couple of classes of art, I did not have anything great to show.

Starting to feel lost I saw a show on TV right before the end of my 4th semester when I was going to take out an Associate's in General Studies so I could take some time to think about where to go in life. I saw the show "Who's Wedding is it Anyway?" and decided I wanted to start my own wedding planning business. So, I switched my major to a Bachelor's of Business and graduated in April of 2009. (Had a year off in there). I was also certified as a Wedding Planner/Bridal Consultant through a college online. 

I tried to start a wedding planning business, even bought a Ford Explorer instead of a Mini Cooper to have wedding stuff hauling space, but no one wanted me. No One. I helped with a couple of weddings from the sidelines for some friends. 

So in June of 2009 I started working as the Catering Manager at a Holiday Inn and loved it. I planned meetings, conferences, weddings and high school reunions. 

So over all I did end up with a career I could "plan" at. But since December of 2010 I have been a Stay at Home Mom. I do love it and am so grateful my husband has an employer that allows for this, but at the same time, I can't wait to get back to the working world in a couple of years!

I still hope to plan weddings someday though... email me at goldylocksandthebarrows (at) hotmail (dot) com if you would like some consulting!

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Bethany

From Kristen, With Love

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up, Bethany!! So far you are the only one :( Not even my co-host has linked up yet! Lol.

    I loved your story. How cool that all those changes of plans led you to your current career. Wanna come to Houston & plan my wedding? ;)

    xoxo
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually trying to think of ways to plan weddings through the web, you know, consult people through phone, email and such. If you would like some advice, just email me! I LOVE weddings!

      Delete
  2. Hey Bethany, thanks for linking up! :) You're the best!!

    I'm still keeping my dreams of being an interior designer and wedding planner still open in case my current plan doesn't work. Until then, I'll live vicariously through you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is very flattering. What are your currant plans?

      Delete